This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self-Assessment for Travelling Freelancer

Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:16 am

Self-Assessment for Travelling Freelancer

Postby NomadFreelancer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:41 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some tax advice on a slightly unique situation and I'm not getting much help from HRMC (big surprise!). Any thoughts or pointers on where to get advice, good resources, etc. would be hugely appreciated.

My situation is this:

* UK citizen, sole trader
* Freelance writer with UK clients
* GBP earnings going into UK bank accounts

* Left the UK 04/06/14 and have no plans to return

This next self-assessment will be the first where I haven't been in the country for roughly 300/365 days and it will most likely be 0 days for the next few years at least.

Any ideas what my tax obligations are, considering the UK clients and bank accounts?


Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Self-Assessment for Travelling Freelancer

Postby nikkisizer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:01 am

Hi NomadFreelancer,

From the information provided you will be liable for UK tax on your self employed earnings up until you left the UK.

From then on your self employed earnings will be declared in the country in which you are tax resident.

Happy to help so if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

Return to “Income Tax”