This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Dual Citizen Income Tax

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:39 am

Dual Citizen Income Tax

Postby ragglequest » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:43 am

Hello all,

So I've been pulling my hair out trying to workout exactly where I fall when it comes to resident or non-resident tax paying status. I'm a self-employed Dual Citizen ( US and German) living in the United States. I plan on spending 6 months in Stratford where I will be renting an apartment for that period working pretty much every day in video production. Unfortunately, the US taxes any globally earned income so I know I'll have to file my estimated tax per usual but my question is: Will I be responsible to pay tax on my income to the UK government given my 6 month stay? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.



Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Dual Citizen Income Tax

Postby nikkisizer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:09 am

Hello Ryan,

If you classed as UK resident for tax purposes then yes.

However, a double taxation agreement is in place between the UK and USA to ensure you do not get taxed twice on the same income.

Happy to help so if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

Return to “Income Tax”