This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Working abroad, Dual Nationality

DavidTreitel
Re: Working abroad, Dual Nationality

Postby DavidTreitel » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:34 am

Have you claimed the foreign earned income exclusion on a recent US tax return? Are you up to date with US filing of tax returns & FBARs?

maths

Re: Working abroad, Dual Nationality

Postby maths » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:26 pm

Maths. I probably have misunderstood your post, I've been told that the new tax laws are complicated so imagine what it's like for people like me who have zero understanding :)
OK, so there's a chance that as I'll be residing in another country (somewhere in the middle east) that I would not be liable for UK tax upon my return. Sounds good to me but I was also told that it can depend on the amount of time away and if that time involves part of a tax year. If you can shine any light on that I'd appreciate it
There are new rules effective 6 April 2013 which are a little complicated.

However, in essence if you leave the UK to work overseas full-time (e.g. 40 hours per week; 4 weeks hols etc) for at least one compete UK tax year it is highly liley that
you will not be exposed to UK income tax on your earnings.

In the tax year you leave/arrive back in the UK typically those tax years can be split; bottom line is that you still for these tax years avoid UK income tax on your overseas earnings.

Care is required and if the monies warrant it, you would be wise to take advice.

Return to “Income Tax”