This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

End Of Employment Tax Return Help

busters dad
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:12 pm

End Of Employment Tax Return Help

Postby busters dad » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:23 pm

I self employed from February to July of this year. I've filled my returns for last year but I'd like to file my return from April to July of this year, for the remaining time of my self employment. Reason for this is that I'm paying emergency tax in my new employment. I've been onto the HMRC website but can't find an option to do this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posts: 342
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: End Of Employment Tax Return Help

Postby nikkisizer » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:33 am

Hello busters dad,

As you were self employed during the current tax year (2015/16) HMRC will issue you with your self assessment tax return next April at which point the tax calculation can be performed and any overpaid tax will be refunded to you.

Happy to help so please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further assistance.
Kind regards,

Nikki Sizer

Sizer & Co Accountants

Birmingham - London - Manchester - Leeds

Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Re: End Of Employment Tax Return Help

Postby SteLacca » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:15 am

You can ring HMRC, explain your situation, and ask them to issue a cumulative tax code, which they should do. Note, however, that this will increase the tax that you pay arising from your self-assessment. At the end of the day, you will pay the same amount whichever way you go. It's simply a matter of timing.

Return to “Income Tax”