This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

self employed/employed - advantages/disadvantages

belgarath
self employed/employed - advantages/disadvantages

Postby belgarath » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:45 pm

My wife and I are registered childminders working in our own home. I complete our tax returns and we make a profit before tax of around £15 000 per year each i.e.total of 30000. Would there be any benefit of me becoming employed by her or vice versa? I realise that this would introduce scary stuff like PAYE, employers liability etc

jpcentral

Re: self employed/employed - advantages/disadvantages

Postby jpcentral » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:08 am

Probably not, although if you were only running one business thee might be some saving in costs, particularly registrations where I imagine you need two now.

If you operate two separate, identical, businesses from the same premises it must be difficult determining what expenses can be attributed to which business. I am pretty sure that HMRC would have a good time examining all of the expenses. Have you considered operating as a partnership?
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

Return to “Income Tax”