This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Employee Expenses, recovering legal fees

BEEMA7
Employee Expenses, recovering legal fees

Postby BEEMA7 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:49 pm

This is a long shot, but has got me thinking.....Won ET from former employer (Sole Trader, Chartered Accountant), constructive dismissal, & serious breach contract. Large award plus costs. Cost over £3000 to take it to Tribunal. Employer has gone down route IVA, which HMRC rejected. I have been unable to get award or costs as Employer disapeared, my baillifs no good at all. I am about to do my Tax Return and was wondering if I could claim ET/Legal fees incurred against that employment (£3000), in effect they were incurred because of that employment. Ive looked at S336 to S338 ITEPA 2003
Chances of HMRC enquiring into the Return, and the subsequent explanation of claim....could this be a first case for HMRC to challenge

Comments appreciated

bd6759

Re: Employee Expenses, recovering legal fees

Postby bd6759 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:18 pm

It is not a tax deductible expense. It does not satisfy any part of s336.

Return to “Income Tax”