This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital Allowances

alan 2010
Capital Allowances

Postby alan 2010 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi. Help appreciated please. Hope I am in correct section. Being 64 and semi-retired I sell fresh fish part-time 3 days a week and have bought a second hand refrigerated van for sole business use. I paid £5000+VAT of £1000. I have already claimed the VAT back as although I am below the VAT threshold now, when I worked full time originally many years ago I wasn't and remain VAT registered. My net profit is usually around £12000 pa meaning I pay either little or no tax depending on Personal Allowances - just Class IV N.I.

What is the most effective way to offset the cost of the van please. In the old days I would claim 25% p.a.WDA and then carry forward a WDV to following years but I believe this is no longer possible. The value of the old van reached zero a long time ago. The £100 I have received scrap value for the old van I presume I just add as 'other untaxed income'. Many thanks in advance.

Return to “Income Tax”