This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Hobby breeder

Chi57
Hobby breeder

Postby Chi57 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi, I am a hobby companion dog breeder, and my dogs are first and foremost beloved family pets.
However, I intend applying for a licence this year, to increase the amount of litters I may breed, from 2-3 to possibly 5-6, as I am developing a line/type to improve health conformation.
As I only breed toy breeds, there is very often only an average of 2 pups in a 'litter', so not a great deal of income, and vastly offset by the outgoings of quality care, food, vet bills, etc.
My question is, should I declare any income, and pay tax? It is very unlikely to be above £5000 per year, and I have no other income as I am early retired and live with my full-time working partner.
Any advice greatly appreciated, as I have no idea where to begin if this means I will require 'self-employed' status!
Thank you.

Return to “Income Tax”