This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Student loan rebate

eivo14
Student loan rebate

Postby eivo14 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:35 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

In March 2016 I overpaid my student loan by a large amount due to a bonus (i.e. I had X left to pay and I ended up paying X+Y). I then filled out my self-assessment tax return for 2015-2016, and the SLC have repaid to my bank account the amount that I overpaid my student loan by.

However, my question is, doesn't student loan come out of my pre-tax income? If so, do I not owe tax on the amount that I have received back from the SLC? How much tax would I pay on this, and how would I go about paying or declaring it?

Cheers for any help

Lambs

Re: Student loan rebate

Postby Lambs » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:30 pm

E,

You are right that the Student Loan Repayment is assessed based on pre-tax income. But so is your tax liability. Or, to address your concerns more directly, tax is calculated/charged on your gross income, i.e., before your Student Loan Repayment is deducted. Therefore, if your Loan Repayment was too much, too little, or just right, your tax is the same. So you will not need to recalculate your tax because of the rebate.

Hope this helps,

Lambs

eivo14

Postby eivo14 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:23 pm

E,

You are right that the Student Loan Repayment is assessed based on pre-tax income. But so is your tax liability. Or, to address your concerns more directly, tax is calculated/charged on your gross income, i.e., before your Student Loan Repayment is deducted. Therefore, if your Loan Repayment was too much, too little, or just right, your tax is the same. So you will not need to recalculate your tax because of the rebate.

Hope this helps,

Lambs
Thanks for your response. So basically you are saying that the amount of student loan to be paid is based on gross income, but the amount that is paid comes out of my net income?

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi yes that is correct.

eivo14

Postby eivo14 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi yes that is correct.
Well that's great news! Thanks for your help again.

Return to “Income Tax”