This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Arts Council grant

Brightonian
Arts Council grant

Postby Brightonian » Wed May 04, 2016 2:41 pm

My client has been awarded a grant under the Arts Council's 'Grants for the Arts' scheme. She is a practising writer and I assumed that the money would simply be added to her other income as a writer.I have also looked at BIM51710, which supports that view. The money is to help with a writing project and I assume that she applied for it. However, when I looked on the internet, I found references to a Hansard discussion and mention of a tax moratorium on Arts Council grants, which led me to think that the situation may not be so simple. This discussion took place in 1978 so may no longer be relevant. Has anyone any experience of this type of award please?

bd6759

Re: Arts Council grant

Postby bd6759 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:56 pm

The moratorium was presumably to allow both sides to seek Counsel opinion. It never reached Court, so we must assume they agreed it was taxable.

See BIM50710 which covers this point

Brightonian

Re: Arts Council grant

Postby Brightonian » Wed May 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Thank you.

Return to “Income Tax”