This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Getting payed 2 weeks wages in 1 week

calm92
Getting payed 2 weeks wages in 1 week

Postby calm92 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi
I work on a paye system where i get payed weekly for my hours
unfortunately hasn't managed to process my time sheet this week and so will most likely pay both weeks next week as they have done before
my problem is that i have been doing quite alot of overtime over both of these weeks so to get payed 2 weeks pay plus all the overtime im going to be way in to the higher tax bracket and will end up losing £200+ when i eventually do get payed due to the extra tax
just wondering is there any way to claim this back or will it get equalled out via paye or will i just have to wait til the end of the tax year?
would be great not to have to lose the money until april as im in dire need of the extra funds ( hence the over-time)
any help appreciated
cheers

jpcentral

Re: Getting payed 2 weeks wages in 1 week

Postby jpcentral » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:00 pm

The tax will sort itself out because this is done on a cumulative basis.

Unfortunately the NI (National Insurance) will not. NI is calculated on the weekly pay and unused NI allowance does not get carried forward.

Simple example

Pay in Week 1 of £200 results in employee NI of £5.40 and employer NI of £6.07

The same happens in Week 2 so the total NI for £400 pay over two weeks is £10.80 employee and £12.14 employer

However, if a week is skipped and the whole of the £400 is paid in one week, the employee NI becomes £29.40 and the employer NI becomes £33.67.

Probably better for your employer to create a payslip for the missing week, even if it is wrong, and adjust next week.
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

Return to “Income Tax”