This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Getting paid in HKD, declare in GBP?

danhl
Getting paid in HKD, declare in GBP?

Postby danhl » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:40 am

I am currently working for a Hong Kong company for whom I am technically self-employed in the UK, but my agreement with the HK company is that they pay me a flat rate agreed in HKD. Historically they have been paying me by bank transfer into my UK account in GBP. However for a number of reasons it would be beneficial if I could be paid in HKD instead and maintain the HKD balance in a UK account. Is this feasible? And what sort of challenges would I face when declaring my earnings, I suppose I would need to apply an exchange rate at some point? Thanks for any advice!

jpcentral

Re: Getting paid in HKD, declare in GBP?

Postby jpcentral » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:53 am

There's no real problem. Many importers/exporters maintain accounts in different currencies.

You have to apply an exchange rate to the income. Normally this is done at the date of invoice then again at the date of payment with any difference being allocated to an "exchange rate gain/loss" account. The source of the exchange rate applied must be consistent and reasonable. HMRC publish lists of exchange rates but we use www.oanda.com as a consistent source.
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

Return to “Income Tax”