This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Employed to Self-Employed.

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Employed to Self-Employed.

Postby willis-1987 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:32 pm

hi, just looking for some advice on my current situation.

I have recently gone from being employed to self employed working for the same company. I also have another job which I am also employed. Would it benefit me to contact HMRC and tell them to change my tax code on my current employed job and have that as my my primary job? I only earn around £6000 per year with my employed job.

Any help would be great.

Posts: 924
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:28 pm
Location: Loughborough

Re: Employed to Self-Employed.

Postby jpcentral » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:50 am

Ultimately it will make no difference because all of the information will be entered on a tax return and the overall tax calculated.

From a short term cashflow perspective, using your tax code on your employment income makes sense.
John Perry
Central Business Services

Return to “Income Tax”