This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Higher rate tax relief on pension contributions

JOHNRE
Higher rate tax relief on pension contributions

Postby JOHNRE » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:41 am

Hello, any tax experts out there?!
I am currently in receipt of an occupational pension which places me just below the 40% tax threshold. I have a SIPP and I am considering putting the full £40K into it this tax year. I understand that if I contribute £32K my SIPP provider will sort out the additional £8K via HMRC.

My query is.....if I earn more to put myself into the 40% tax bracket, am I correct in assuming that only the amount I actually earn above £43,000 can be claimed for tax relief at the higher rate?

John

jason13

Re: Higher rate tax relief on pension contributions

Postby jason13 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:23 am

Do you have any income apart from your occupational pension? You can only pay 100% of your annual earnings into a pension and IIRC income from pensions doesn't count as earnings. Unfortunately, I cannot find a reference right now because a lot of information was lost when HMRC's web site was moved to gov.uk.

Hopefully someone else can add some details.

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:39 pm

Jason is correct, you would need earnings other than your pension income, the legislation is at S189(2) FA 2004.
It appears that you have a defined benefits (final salary) scheme generating the bulk of your income, and a SIPP which would be a money purchase arrangement, if so you would need earned income (defined at S62 ITEPA 2003) to fund the contributions, this could not include pension income.
Assuming you do have relevant earnings that do qualify then your assumption would be correct, remember that if the SIPP existed in the previous three years then unused contributions up to the annual allowance can be carried forward to the current year.

JOHNRE

Postby JOHNRE » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:16 pm

Many thanks for your replies and my tardiness in responding (been away!). Yes, my only income is my Teachers Pension although I may have income from lettings in the future. Presumably this would count as "income" for pension contribution purposes?

JOHNRE

Postby JOHNRE » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:32 pm

I have just read that rental income is not eligible. Damn!

JOHNRE

Postby JOHNRE » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Am I correct in presuming that if all of my income is ineligible for pension contributions, I could still make a contribution of £2880 to my SIPP?

jason13

Postby jason13 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:54 pm

Yes.

Return to “Income Tax”