This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet day

Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:23 pm day

Postby littlecub » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with this question. Here goes:

I'm living in Dubai just now and have been here two years. The main reason I'm here is because of the tax free salary and, for me, all this links to my main hope which is to make enough money to move back home, start a family and buy us a home. Modest dreams I guess but that's my hope.

The thing is that I'm now pregnant and due to have a baby in London this summer. This situation means that in the tax year from April 2017 - April 2018, I will end up spending over 90 days in the U.K. I've scoured the web but keep finding conflicting information about the 90 day rule and I'd like a definitive answer on whether exceeding 90 days in the U.K. will mean that I need to pay tax in the U.K.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Does anyone know for sure if I definitely need to pay UK tax in this situation?


Posts: 7895
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: day

Postby maths » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:24 pm

You will not satisfy any of the automatic overseas residence tests.

There is insufficient info' to determine whether under the automatic UK residence tests or the Sufficient ties test you will become resident although you may escape being caught by any of these tests.

Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: day

Postby AmanSood » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Another consideration is the fact that there is no double tax treaty between the UK and UAE (not yet been enacted). Therefore, depending on what you are doing in the UK, you may still be taxable on your UK days as these are viewed as being UK sourced. Depends on your personal circumstances. Also as mentioned in the previous post, not possible to work out your residency based on the limited information provided but this may not be in point depending on what you are doing in the UK.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Posts: 3168
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: day

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to have your baby in Dubai?

Return to “Income Tax”