This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SA109 and treaty residence

LOUIE
SA109 and treaty residence

Postby LOUIE » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:10 am

Hi

I am resident in the UK under domestic legislation for 2015/16 (in which year I moved abroad, I don't qualify for split year treatment) but also resident abroad. Under the terms of the double tax treaty, I am resident only in the foreign country. Do I mark box 1 on SA109 ("if you were not resident in the UK for 2015/16, put X in the box")?

And elsewhere where the tax return refers to UK residence, am I or am not resident if I am domestic resident/treaty non-resident?

Thanks.

AmanSood

Re: SA109 and treaty residence

Postby AmanSood » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:31 am

Hi Louie, you should NOT mark box 1 of SA109 as you were Resident for the full 2015/16 tax year under UK tax legislation.

Aman
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “Income Tax”