This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

LLP - tax on contribution to legal fees

srewdpartner
LLP - tax on contribution to legal fees

Postby srewdpartner » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:17 pm

Hi

Any help anyone can give me on this is much appreciated -
I agreed to a Settlement Agreement following a dispute with an LLP of which I was a member/partner, I received a final profit share amount plus a contribution toward my legal fees - clearly distinguished in the Settlement agreement and the later not referred to as Profit Share. The LLP has now filed tax return with the total amount (incl the contribution to legal fees) as my Profit Share allocation. Am I liable therefore for tax on the contribution element? That certainly wasnt the idea :(

Thanks for any thoughts!!

section 44

Re: LLP - tax on contribution to legal fees

Postby section 44 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:57 pm

surely everything that you get out of an LLP is really profit share, irrespective of how you might describe it (assuming that you aren't looking to argue that you weren't really a partner/member)?

Return to “Income Tax”