This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can I offset personal losses against a limited company

wires
Can I offset personal losses against a limited company

Postby wires » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi,
I have worked for 11 years as a teacher paying PAYE and left teaching in 2015. At the same time I was running a small unincorporated sole trader business and doing a self assessment return. Last year a formed a small Ltd company and have ploughed most of my money into it to get it off the ground. I am still registered as self employed and I am also required to do a company tax return as well as my self assessment form.

My question is this, I have read that if I am non incorporated I can write any losses off against the previous 3 years' tax paid. Is there any way in which I can write off against my tax previously paid the investment I have made into my Ltd company this year?

Many thanks

AmanSood

Re: Can I offset personal losses against a limited company

Postby AmanSood » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:39 pm

unfortunately not. You can however carry forward your losses and offset against any profits arising in future accounting periods. Good luck!
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

AnthonyR

Re: Can I offset personal losses against a limited company

Postby AnthonyR » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:51 am

As Aman said, unfortunately as your company is a separate legal person it's losses are not transferable to you.

There is relief for early years losses for self employment, which can be off set against the previous 3 years income, but this doesn't apply in your circumstances (assuming your sole trade didn't make losses).
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Income Tax”