This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Carrying back charitable donations to previous tax year to increase pension annual allowance

someone
Carrying back charitable donations to previous tax year to increase pension annual allowance

Postby someone » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:47 pm

I am very close to the maximum pension contributions I can make due to the tapering annual allowance. The pension contributions have already been made via salary sacrifice.

I intend to make an extra charitable donation to reduce my income to the point where my annual allowance exactly matches what I've contributed to my pension.

I understand that for each £2 I give to charity I will get £1 of pension annual allowance back.

Can I make the charitable contribution in the 2017/18 tax year but include it in the box on my 2016/17 tax return or does it have to be made in the 2016/17 tax year for this to work? I would not want to carry back all my 2017/18 charitable giving to 2016/17, just some of it.

I went through this with a pension adviser back in January and I expected to have to make a charitable gift of around £2000 (net) but on trying http://taxationweb.azurewebsites.net/Pe ... Calculator that suggests that I might not have exceeded my annual allowance (I have no unused allowance from previous years). I think my calculations are probably the correct ones as the online calculator doesn't quite match my circumstances where I do a salary sacrifice and my employer also does a pension match and I cannot work out exactly how to tweak the numbers to give the right result. I was hoping I could wait until I can put the numbers into the online tax gateway and then make exactly the right size of charitable gift to avoid any annual allowance charge..

someone

Re: Carrying back charitable donations to previous tax year to increase pension annual allowance

Postby someone » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:52 am

This seems to answer my question in the affermative.

https://www.stewardship.org.uk/download ... 20back.pdf

Return to “Income Tax”