This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Breaking the Basic - Higher Rate Tax Barrier with interest?

tjm397

Postby tjm397 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:33 am

I don't yet qualify as a higher rate tax payer but my regular income is not far short by ~£1000.

I do however have a number of saving accounts that are due to pay interest which will take me over the basic tax limit for the year and put me into the higher tax bracket.

I have already used my full ISA allowance for the year to offshift these savings.

Will i have to declare the sum over the basic limit and payer the extra 20% tax on that?

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:42 pm

Yes, you have to declare all interest and dividends income so that the tax office can work out how much amount has entered the higher rate tax band.

Ramnik
ramnikrp@hotmail.com

bob.fraser@towrylaw.

Postby bob.fraser@towrylaw. » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:30 am

Don't forget that there are more tax free savings scheme than just ISAs which you can use to avoid this problem. If you are happy to save in non-deposit investments, then you can also use plans which are chargeable to capital gains tax rather than income tax. Everyone has an annual CGT allowance of £8,200 which few people exploit. This would avoid your problem.

Bob Fraser, MBA, MA
Associate Investment Director, Rensburg plc
Fellow, Personal Finance Society
tel: +44 (0)2890321002
mobile 07709430958

tjm397

Postby tjm397 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:21 am

Thanks very much for the advice.

ian.wright@beechams.

Postby ian.wright@beechams. » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:40 am

If you are married and don't already have joint accounts or don't mind tranferring monies into your wife's name and your wife is not a higher rate tax payer then you can use her tax bands to avoid higher rate tax.

Return to “Income Tax”