This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Non resident director of the UK company

kevincab
Non resident director of the UK company

Postby kevincab » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:23 am

Hi all, I am quite confuse of my UK tax liability and need help, many thanks.

I am the UK citizen but left UK and becomes non UK resident since 2010. In 2016, I become the "overseas director" of a UK company and I did not receive any income from this UK company (I receive some overseas income during the tax year 2016/17 but it is not related to my role as the director of the UK company. I still live overseas after I become the director of the UK company). I just want to confirm under this situation, do I have any UK tax liability and do I need to file any UK tax return for 2016/17? Many thanks in advance for

AmanSood

Re: Non resident director of the UK company

Postby AmanSood » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:44 am

Hi Kevincab, if you are based overseas and do not spend any time in the UK carrying out your director duties e.g. attending board meetings in the UK, then you would not have any UK personal income tax liability. On a related note, if the Company in the UK is your company and you are the sole director, then there could be potential corporation tax implications if for example all board meetings are held overseas.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “Income Tax”