This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Previous years' returns

Martin H 83
Previous years' returns

Postby Martin H 83 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:52 am

Hi there I've joined to see if someone can shed light on my situation and the best way to resolve it.

I registered self-employed in mid-April 2012. I then learned that what I was planning would work better going through the job centre, regards getting start up help etc. So I signed on lesson than a week after registering self-employed.

I proceeded to take a job shortly after and was employed for a few years after. The problem is, in my naivety I assumed that my self-employment would be 'cancelled' due to my tax being dealt with by the companies I worked for henceforth.

So now I have tax returns to complete for all previous years going back to 2012, and pay all relevant penalties!

So my question is this; what is my best course of action? And would it be expensive to pay an accountant to sort this shambles out for me?

Thanks in advance.

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Previous years' returns

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi

No you probably can sort this out yourself. I would just write to HRMRC explaining the situation and ask them to cancel the tax returns

Kind Regards

GTA

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:55 pm

I've advised people in the past to just ring HMRC up and explain the situation. Most of the time they've cancelled the notices to file self assessment and waived any penalties over the phone

Martin H 83

Postby Martin H 83 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:12 am

Awesome thanks for the replies. I'll ring them today and post details of how it's went.

I have another query regarding tax credits, am I ok to post it in here or will I start a new thread in the relevant section of the forum?

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 pm

I'd start a new thread so people know what to expect and those with experience can answer.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Martin H 83

Postby Martin H 83 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi there. I phoned HMRC and got liabilities and penalties waved for the last two years. Apparently they can only go back that far and I still need to file a return for the year before that, and appeal any penalties.

Not out the woods yet but a positive start. Thanks for the advice!

Return to “Income Tax”