This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

2 quick questions. :)

FloopyPooples
2 quick questions. :)

Postby FloopyPooples » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:33 am

Hi all.

I hope you're doing well?
Here's my 2 quick questions that I hope can be answered.

1) If I work in a foreign land for a foreign company and get paid in foreign money into a foreign bank account (essentially, nothing I do has any link back to the UK) do I need to declare anything to anyone back in the UK.gov?
I think that's a no.

2) If I DO get a 1 time payment into my UK bank account from the foreign company in a foreign land, does this need declaring? I also think there might be some kind of limit? E.g... no need if it's under a certain amount?

- Cheers

AmanSood

Re: 2 quick questions. :)

Postby AmanSood » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:37 am

If you are UK resident and working from the UK, then it doesn't really matter where the income is being paid as you would have to pay tax on it in the UK. So answer to question 1 is Yes and question 2 is No (there is no de-minimis limit for tax purposes).

Also please see our article (link below) where we are seeing increased activity from HMRC in contacting UK tax resident individuals with offshore bank accounts. If however you are non-UK tax resident then there should be no UK taxes to pay on your foreign income.

http://e-taxconsulting.com/onewebmedia/ ... 202017.pdf
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

FloopyPooples

Postby FloopyPooples » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks for the reply.

So it seems that if you're away for more than a year (and spend less than a certain amount of time in the UK), then you're classed as "Non-UK Tax resident", so it's really only the first year that people might be interested in.

Are there any professional people (I don't know the name for them, but like lawyers for tax issues) that a person might contact to sort out any issues on their behalf while someone is out of the country?

- Cheers

AmanSood

Postby AmanSood » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:32 am

Feel free to give me a call and I can advise on whether we can support you with this or point you in the right direction.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

FloopyPooples

Postby FloopyPooples » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:57 pm

I'll email you in the not too distant future to the address in your sig :)

- Cheers

Return to “Income Tax”