This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Company fuel card

Leepipe1983
Company fuel card

Postby Leepipe1983 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi all

I have a company car and a fuel card which could covers personal mileage also.

I have received a p800 about underpayment, however based on my assumption that you should only pay tax on personal miles not business miles I am a bit stumped.

In 2.5 years I have done a total business/personal 30,000 miles.

Based on the tax I am paying on fuel benefit would mean I need to do 20,000 personal miles per year which I’m clearly way under.

Is there a way I can show this to HMRC to question the amount of BIK I am paying for the fuel benefit ?

Thanks
Lee

Thanks

bd6759

Re: Company fuel card

Postby bd6759 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 pm

The fuel benefit is a scale charge. It applies regardless of the actual cost of fuel used.

AdamS93

Postby AdamS93 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:11 am

Agree with bd, it is irrelevant how much you used it for personal use... you attract the benefit in kind if the car is available for use, whether you do 10 personal miles per annum or 100,000.

The fuel benefit is the same, the only way you can reduce the fuel benefit is if you repay the cost of ALL fuel used for personal journeys. If you only repay part of the fuel used for personal journeys, you ignore it unfortunately.

I dare say you have an expensive German car with high emissions and therefore you are going to be paying a significant amount of additional tax.

robbob

Postby robbob » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:08 am

with high emissions

ahhhh - that reminds me of the good old days when having a reasonably low emissions figure made a difference !!!! - back in 2011/12 120 g/km was a 10% benefit rate - looking at 19/20 the same band is 28% - a near trebling of the tax charge !!

Strange but "possibly" true - you can probably buy a new car for less than your annual benefit charge
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/a-bran ... or-[b]5995[/b]-otr-trouble-free-motoring-for-3-years-the-new-dacia-sandero-access-2828525

Return to “Income Tax”