This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Work related course

purpleozzie
Work related course

Postby purpleozzie » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi,

In January my company decided that all employees had to be do a course which cost £750. The company paid for it..

I left the company in September and they took the cost of the course out of my final salary as there was a clause in my contract stating that I had to pay back the cost of the course..

My question is can I reclaim the tax paid for this course??

Cheers,

AmanSood

Re: Work related course

Postby AmanSood » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:07 pm

really depends on the type of course and determining if it would qualify as deductible.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

someone

Re: Work related course

Postby someone » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm surprised that a company can make you do a course and then make you pay for it if you leave.

Voluntary courses, sure, but not mandatory ones.

If it really was mandatory - some regulatory training is mandatory - then I'd assume it was tax deductible. If it was something for the benefit of the company, and not tax deductible, then I don't think they should be able to reclaim the cost from you.

It might be worth talking to an employment lawyer.

Return to “Income Tax”