This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK domicile status

kevincab
UK domicile status

Postby kevincab » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:43 am

Dear all,

I have doubts about the my domiciled status. I'm the UK citizen but I was born in Hong Kong. I did not live in UK since I was born and will go to work in UK on next year.

I want t o confirm whether I will automatically become UK domiciled person when I start working in UK. I have no intention to stay in UK permanently, but I think I will stay for quite a long time still.

Many thanks.

AmanSood

Re: UK domicile status

Postby AmanSood » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:51 pm

On the basis that you were born in the UK then under the new rules which came in from 6 April this year you would automatically considered to be UK domiciled.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

maths

Re: UK domicile status

Postby maths » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:50 pm

Amansood

First, the poster was not born in the UK.

Second, even if he had it would be necessary in addition for him to have a UK domicile of origin which is not clear is the case (in fact probably not).

Return to “Income Tax”