This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self-employed, Going to work abroad, liable for UK income tax on foreign income?

jj11
Self-employed, Going to work abroad, liable for UK income tax on foreign income?

Postby jj11 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Hello,

I will try to summarize my current situation below, if anyone has any thoughts much appreciated as I believe others would be in a similar position:

- I am a software developer my trade, but currently earning a living playing online poker.
- I have a lucrative opportunity to relocate abroad for a couple of years to work with a friend trading crypto-currencies, in SE Asia.

Basically, I expect my income from abroad to be multiple earnings of my average income now but the opportunity to last 1-3 years max. I would like to deposit my earnings made abroad back to the UK.

Will I be taxed on my foreign income by the UK? If so, how would one go about minimizing tax due, legally of course.

I have looked into P85, SRT and split year rules - I am not sure if my work would be suitably official by HMRC, as work abroad is mostly an informal agreement between the 2 of us (long time friends), no contract etc

Any help or guidance much appreciated!

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Self-employed, Going to work abroad, liable for UK income tax on foreign income?

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:54 am

Probably not if you away for a full tax year.

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “Income Tax”