This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Relocating to UK, query regarding Income Tax and NI liabilities

abagchi
Relocating to UK, query regarding Income Tax and NI liabilities

Postby abagchi » Mon May 21, 2018 4:42 am

Hello,

I am an Indian national currently working in Singapore, and I have recently received an employment offer from a university in Birmingham, UK. My joining date is August 15, 2018. Let's say that my gross annual salary is 36500 GBP. However, considering my joining date, my actual earnings over the course of the current financial year (6 April 2018 - 5 April 2019) would be 23400 GBP. I have the following question regarding my salary deductions:

Q1. Would my Income Tax liability and National Insurance contribution be calculated based on my gross annual salary (i.e., 36500 GBP), or would those be calculated based on my actual earnings over the financial year (i.e., 23400 GBP)? Kindly clarify.

I greatly appreciate some expert advice on the above mentioned query. Many thanks in advance and have a good day!

AGoodman

Re: Relocating to UK, query regarding Income Tax and NI liabilities

Postby AGoodman » Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 am

Actual earnings.

It may take a little time to get the coding right for PAYE (tax/ni deduction by employers) but the overall tax will be on actual earnings.

abagchi

Postby abagchi » Tue May 22, 2018 3:10 am

Thank you very much for your reply, AGoodman!

jason13

Postby jason13 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Just to add that you will get the full personal allowance even if you start working later in the tax year (e.g. August)

abagchi

Postby abagchi » Wed May 23, 2018 4:21 am

Thanks for the clarification, jason13!

Return to “Income Tax”