This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Optimise salary/dividend when moving abroad

alphapanda
Optimise salary/dividend when moving abroad

Postby alphapanda » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:23 pm

I am the sole director of a UK ltd. I will soon be moving to Germany and my company will stop paying myself salary/dividend as soon as I move there as I will start earning a salary there.
My question is about the calculation of UK income tax for the part of the current tax year in which I am a UK resident. Are the personal allowance and thresholds calculated pro rata of the number of months I spend in the UK or are they just the same as any other year? If the second option is correct, does this mean that it is in my interest to pay myself the full amount of the year (personal allowance + dividend up to 45K)?
Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

AmanSood

Re: Optimise salary/dividend when moving abroad

Postby AmanSood » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 pm

I am the sole director of a UK ltd. I will soon be moving to Germany and my company will stop paying myself salary/dividend as soon as I move there as I will start earning a salary there.
My question is about the calculation of UK income tax for the part of the current tax year in which I am a UK resident. Are the personal allowance and thresholds calculated pro rata of the number of months I spend in the UK or are they just the same as any other year? If the second option is correct, does this mean that it is in my interest to pay myself the full amount of the year (personal allowance + dividend up to 45K)?
Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Hi Alphapanda, to answer the simple question no the personal allowances/thresholds are not pro-rated for the period you are UK resident. It's difficult to work out what's the best amount to pay yourself as there are other considerations e.g. National Insurance payable, other income etc

Aman
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “Income Tax”