This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income Tax on rotational Foreign Income

Jay Squared
Income Tax on rotational Foreign Income

Postby Jay Squared » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Hello,

I may have a role in Kuwait working on a 28/28 rotation, I will be working solely in Kuwait and not doing any work within the Uk. I have been told Kuwaiti taxes will be paid which I understand is 5%. I still have ties in the Uk (House, Wife and Kids). Is there a way of reducing my UK Tax liability ? should I stay out of the Uk for 2 or three more weeks per year ?

Also should I then need to pay UK income tax. Is this calculated in the same bands of Basic rate, Higher rate etc ? Can anyone give me a quick figure on say how much I'd pay on £100k earned in Kuwait.

Just to add, I have been working in the Ulk via my LTD company so wold it be easier or more efficient to transfer money into my company ?

Thanks

J

Tom7000

Re: Income Tax on rotational Foreign Income

Postby Tom7000 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:27 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rdr3-statutory-residence-test-srt

Work your way through that. See if UK taxes are due under your circumstances

Jay Squared

Postby Jay Squared » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 am

Thanks Tom,

I've read through a few times but keep tie -ing myself in knots just when I think I know where I am at then the next sentence down seems to contradict that.

Jay Squared

Postby Jay Squared » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:03 pm

Is there anyone who can offer me advice and an answer of where I stand ?

I dont mind paying for a service.

Thanks

John

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi

Based on the information provided very likely you will be considered to be resident in the UK as you have a home in the UK. If not then probably get caught under number of ties

Actually the 5% is only a retention which public and private institutions have to withhold from foreign companies in lieu of taxes. The Kuwait Corporate tax rate is 15% and likely you will end up paying 15% on profit (less 5% retention tax) which probably can be offset against UK tax depending on double tax treaty

A UK company could delay tax on dividends

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “Income Tax”