This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Claiming tax refund under temporary workplace relief

anupam82
Claiming tax refund under temporary workplace relief

Postby anupam82 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 am

Hi,

Seeking help on filing the tax return for 2017-19 tax year. I'm an EXPAT in UK and my employer is eligible to provide the benefit of temporary workplace relief for first 24 months with a bespoke rate of GBP 16000 per year. Unfortunately my employer could not provide this benefit to me via payroll and I've to claim it back from HMRC via tax return.

Now, the issue I'm struggling with is where to put my actual expenses in the ITR? I suppose it's somewhere in the 'Employment' form(SA102). Could someone please help me on that? Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Anupam

AmanSood

Re: Claiming tax refund under temporary workplace relief

Postby AmanSood » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:52 am

Hi,

Seeking help on filing the tax return for 2017-19 tax year. I'm an EXPAT in UK and my employer is eligible to provide the benefit of temporary workplace relief for first 24 months with a bespoke rate of GBP 16000 per year. Unfortunately my employer could not provide this benefit to me via payroll and I've to claim it back from HMRC via tax return.

Now, the issue I'm struggling with is where to put my actual expenses in the ITR? I suppose it's somewhere in the 'Employment' form(SA102). Could someone please help me on that? Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Anupam

Hi Anupam, use boxes 17 to 20 on the employment page of the tax return.

Aman
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

bd6759

Re: Claiming tax refund under temporary workplace relief

Postby bd6759 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:14 am

HMRC will not refund you £16,200.

If you incur allowable expenses, they will refund any tax you have paid on those costs. HMRC will base this on costs you have actually incurred, not some arbitrary (or bespoke) amount.

Return to “Income Tax”