This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Does a cost basis adjustment in foreign shares create taxable income?

mbanth
Does a cost basis adjustment in foreign shares create taxable income?

Postby mbanth » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:00 pm

I wish to understand the UK tax treatment of a change in cost basis of foreign shares. Can someone here please help me.

I'm a US citizen living long-term in the UK. Consequently I file both a Self Assessment return in the UK and an Income Tax return in the US.

I own shares in a US company. In September 2017 that company spun-off a subsidiary. On the same day as the spin-off, the subsidiary merged with a UK company. The resulting merged company is UK based.

As a result of the spin-off and merger I received American Depository Shares (ADSs) in the UK company. These shares are dollar-denominated, held in a US brokerage account and traded on a US exchange. According to information I received from the US company, technically I received 1 share in the subsidiary for each share I held in the US company. Each share in the subsidiary was then exchanged for a fractional ADS. The subsidiary was never publically traded.

Under US tax law, the merger resulted in a change in the cost basis of the ADSs. The adjusted cost basis of each share equals the share's fair market value on the date of the merger. I had to report the difference between the original cost basis, which was a percentage of the cost basis in the US company shares, and the adjusted cost basis as income on my US 2017 Income Tax return.

Now I'm preparing my UK Self-Assessment for 2017-18. My question: does UK tax law treat the change in cost basis as taxable income?

Kind thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

DavidTreitel

Re: Does a cost basis adjustment in foreign shares create taxable income?

Postby DavidTreitel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Sounds from the published legal opinion that you are recognising gain rather than income: https://investors.hpe.com/~/media/Files/H/HP-Enterprise-IR/documents/seattle-6045b-statement-26092017.pdf

You'd want to treaty resource the gain on the 2017 US return (on a treaty resourced Form 1116) if there is UK tax on the gain. If you are unclear on the UK tax position on the transaction and the company does not have a legal opinion you may wish to engage a lawyer yourself to advise on the UK tax consequences.

Return to “Income Tax”