This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Schedule A Expenses

DavidFraser
Schedule A Expenses

Postby DavidFraser » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:44 pm

I have a client who has carried on a rental business letting three properties. One of these properties has not been let during the year 2017-18 and it possibly will not be let again as she is hoping to sell the property if planning is approved. She has incurred expenses and as I see it these cannot be treated as wholly and exclusively Schedule A expenses as the last tenacy ceased prior to 2017-18. Am I correct in thinking that although the rental business has continued during 2017-18 with the two other properties let, the expenses on the untenacied property are still not allowable against the other rental income received?
Any views on this would be appreciated.

Surtax1972

maths

Re: Schedule A Expenses

Postby maths » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:17 pm

Per HMRC Property Manual :

Provided the property is genuinely available for commercial letting and the landlord is actively seeking tenants they can deduct the expenditure incurred on that property in the normal way.

Return to “Income Tax”