This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

No income from buy to let

Stoob
No income from buy to let

Postby Stoob » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi all,

Ive been searching the gov website looking for advice on whether i need to file a tax return for 17-18.

I bought a property on a buy to let mortgage in july17 but didnt start renting it out until july18.
So as i have received no income i didnt think i would need to fill in a self assessment, but as the deadline approaches i'm starting to think maybe i should,
just to cover all my expenses?
I know i'll have to fill one in for 18-19, but most of my outgoings fall into the 17-18 dates.
Should i file this month?

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers
stoob.

bd6759

Re: No income from buy to let

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:03 pm

You only need to complete a tax return if HMRC have given you notice to do so.

In the absence of a notice, your only obligation is to tell HMRC if you have a liability to tax. If you have no tax to pay, you have no obligation.

You will need to tell HMRC (before 5 October 2019) that you have liability for 2018-19.

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:03 pm

Dear S,

In relation to what is presumably the commencement of your property letting business, the test is in my opinion when you first started to market the property as being available to let. But HMRC reckons it is when you actually first let the property - which was clearly 2018/19. Note that you can still claim all your pre-commencement expenses as having been incurred on the first day your business commenced so you will NOT lose out on any allowable expenses incurred beforehand.

You will need to register for Self Assessment by 05/10/19 for the 2018/19 tax year. That assumes your GROSS annual rental income before any expenses is more than £1,000. If not, you may choose to rely on the Property Allowance (but if you do and you made a net loss after expenses then you would forfeit the loss).

Regards,

Lambs

Stoob

Postby Stoob » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:18 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
Put my mind at ease about getting on the wrong side of hmrc right at the start.
Seems like panic over and just get organised for 18-19.

thanks again.
Stoob

Return to “Income Tax”