This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Assessment Question

Tallorder
Self Assessment Question

Postby Tallorder » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi, I have a question regarding my self assessment that I am going to submit tomorrow. I am a sole trader and run a very small business which involves me paying for large items from all over the UK to be transported to me and selling them online. I do not have a driving licence and never learned to drive due to health issues so I have to pay van men to collect the items for me and bring them to me. The problem I have is that I stupidly didn't get receipts from them and they never offered any to me so I thought just being honest and recording the amounts and dates of the payments made in cash would be enough. I have since read that this is not a wise thing to do.

I suspect that due to having no receipts I cannot claim the £6000ish in money I paid out for all of these items to be collected and will have to pay tax on it. Is this correct or is there a way that HMRC would understand that as I do not have the ability to drive then I obviously did pay out money to get all of these items to my location? The amounts are reasonable and usually average around £60 per trip with the highest amount being £160 which involved an item being collected from down near Cornwall and transported to me near London.

I am not earning much at all due to my poor health (just below the personal tax allowance if the van expenses are allowed) but if I cannot claim them then I will just remove all of the van man fees and pay tax on the lot even though it will be a struggle. I just wanted to be absolutely sure there was no way of including those expenses before submitting my tax return. I know it was stupid of me not to get receipts back when I first started and I make absolutely sure to get them now.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

pawncob

Re: Self Assessment Question

Postby pawncob » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:24 pm

I like the "very small business" that incurs £6000 in delivery costs! It sounds like you can justify the costs even if you don't have receipts. I'd claim it as an expense.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”