This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Car price as capital allowance

FreddieP
Car price as capital allowance

Postby FreddieP » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:27 pm

I still cannot understand cars as capital allowance for the life of me. I am self-employed a sole trader and I recently bought a car for myself. I use it for business about 20% of the time. Can I claim 20% of the actual cost of the car as capital allowance?

bd6759

Re: Car price as capital allowance

Postby bd6759 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:12 am

No.

Capital allowance are either 8% or 18% of the cost or the written down value. This depends on the emissions. You need to reduce the allowance by 80% to take account of non-business use.

It’s much easier, and probably more beneficial, to claim 45p per mile to cover all costs.

Return to “Income Tax”