This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK tax residency certificate and claiming tax relief on foreign interests

super1

Postby super1 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:26 am

It's a bit confusing, so would be appreciated if someone could explain me that. If I live in the UK and

1)
I have a UK tax residency certificate in a foreign bank, tax on interests is taken there 10% and then in the UK I can claim tax relief on interests which means 20-10=10% I have to pay 10% tax on foreign interests in the UK

2) if I do not have UK tax residency certificate so the foreign bank takes 15% tax on interests, then in the UK am I allowed to claim tax relief on interests 20-15=5% and pay 5% left in the uk tax on foreign interests or as I dont have that certificate in foreign bank, I can't not claim that 15% in the uk and pay 20%?

thanks

maths

Re: UK tax residency certificate and claiming tax relief on foreign interests

Postby maths » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 pm

No you can't claim for the 15% foreign tax; only the 10% (which I assume is the rate applicable under a double tax treaty).

Return to “Income Tax”