This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax refund with multiple jobs (student)

kasin22
Tax refund with multiple jobs (student)

Postby kasin22 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 am

Hello, let me explain my situation:

My first job is on a self-employed basis as a freelancer for an interpreting agency. I'll do my first tax self-assessment after April 2019.
However, I am also working at a restaurant and I have a BR tax code, being taxed 20% every month automatically, as per my second job.
I am also finishing my master's degree this year, and I have a student loan, with the last payment being made in April 2019.

While calculating my total income from both job (self-employed and taxed restaurant job) I've found out that the total earnings shouldn't exceed 10k.
Can I apply for a tax refund for the tax paid on my second job? Would my student loan affect this?

Sorry for your trouble and thank you for help,
kasin22

accutalk

Re: Tax refund with multiple jobs (student)

Postby accutalk » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:31 am

Hello, let me explain my situation:

My first job is on a self-employed basis as a freelancer for an interpreting agency. I'll do my first tax self-assessment after April 2019.
However, I am also working at a restaurant and I have a BR tax code, being taxed 20% every month automatically, as per my second job.
I am also finishing my master's degree this year, and I have a student loan, with the last payment being made in April 2019.

While calculating my total income from both job (self-employed and taxed restaurant job) I've found out that the total earnings shouldn't exceed 10k.
Can I apply for a tax refund for the tax paid on my second job? Would my student loan affect this?

Sorry for your trouble and thank you for help,
kasin22
Yes you may. Chances are you may get a refund if not a FULL refund

robbob

Re: Tax refund with multiple jobs (student)

Postby robbob » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:39 am

Its probably easier simply to change your taxcode so that your available allowance is used against your main/only employment income - this should get a rebate on your next payslip presuming your employer can update you code quick enough.

Note for employment related starter forms and questions from hmrc - "is this your only job" question specifically you can ignore the sole trader activity completely - as you only have one "job" your allowance can be allocated against that job less any that may have been used elsewhere tis tax year.

Return to “Income Tax”