This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Car Allowance with fuel card

Lee_k
Car Allowance with fuel card

Postby Lee_k » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me as I keep getting different answers when using the tax online chat.

I currently have a company car and fuel card (full private miles paid) however i'm looking to switch to a paid allowance to purchase my own car, but keeping the fuel card.

Could someone explain how it works?

The allowance would be £500 a month - this is paid in my salary - presume I pay tax on this as I would with normal salary.

Fuel card - this is where it gets confusing, so if I kept the fuel card (still for private miles) how would I pay tax, would it be actual spend on fuel card declared - then taken from tax code?

For example - if my spend last year was £3500 on the fuel card, would payroll pass that number to HMRC and they'd take it off my tax code, so my tax code would be 900l?

Or if that's not how it works, could someone explain it (in very simple terms :D)

Thanks
Lee

Return to “Income Tax”