This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Is there something fishy going on?

cath135
Is there something fishy going on?

Postby cath135 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:23 pm

Hi everyone,
I need some advice with a long standing issue I've had with my current employer. I'm a chef and have been employed within a business since April 2017. I am struggling to make heads or tails of my payslips and tax situation so will try and provide as much info as possible in the hopes someone can offer me some serious help as I am beginning to suspect something dodgey is going on.
I was originally employed on a salary of 23,000 which increased to 25,000 at the end of my first year (April 2018). I did not receive a P60 for that year (after multiple requests) and was later informed by HMRC that I had underpaid on tax for 17/18 and that they would be altering my tax code (To 1004L) to collect the amount of £316. I obviously could not check this without a p60 and it is worth noting that I very rarely receive payslips (have received 6 in the two years I've worked there!). In September of 2018 I was promoted to head chef with an immediate increase in Salary to 26k which, after a 3 month probationary period ending on 1st December 2018 would be increased to 30k. To date my employer has not paid me on a 30k salary. The most I have ever earned in a month, before tax, is £2208 and that was back in December 2017!

My issue is that;
1) every month my earnings are not the same and fluctuate by a couple of hundred pounds. I am not able to confidently state what my annual salary is as each month is totally different to the next. Should this be the case on a fixed salary?
2) When I have logged into HMRC I can also see that my declared income is nowhere near accurate and I am now concerned that I am yet again going to be hit with another underpayment tax bill! declared income from employer for 17/18 was 22k and declared income for 18/19 is 24k?
3) When I try and check the accuracy of my monthly tax payments from the few payslips I have these do not seem to correlate with what it "should be"
4) My Tax code has been switched again for this month to an emergency tax code (1150LM1) without any notification as to why or for what purpose (only know this as it's on the bottom of payslip).
5) To date I cannot calculate how I underpaid on tax last year, even using the information HMRC has on my account this does not add up? will the incorrect information my employer has provided HMRC with mean I end up with another underpayment bill? Is the reduction in the personal allowance correct?
7) Employer isn't paying me what I have signed a contract agreeing to?
Sorry for the long post but I have spent all day trying to work out what's going on and any advice would be massively appreciated!
(please note that I am suspicious of my employers activities as I know of employees not having contracts/not being paid what they have been told they would and HMRC recently inspecting property for VAT returns)

darthblingbling

Re: Is there something fishy going on?

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:15 pm

Employer is obliged to give you your p60 by 31 May following the end of the tax year. Keep the pressure on your employer to obtain this.

Do you receive any benefits (private medical for example), are you entitled to a share of the tips?

darthblingbling

Re: Is there something fishy going on?

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Your declared income that you are seeing on HMRC online does not seem to be completely out of sync, if you started your job later in the month of April then you would likely have earned slightly less than 23k for tax year one as reported. Same with year two assuming your pay rise only came into effect later in the month.

The 30k payrise issue is not a tax issue, you'd likely need to speak to an employment law expert.

However, do keep up the pressure to get your p60 and payslips. It may be the case that payroll is done externally.

Return to “Income Tax”