This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Why is my tax code changed from 1185L to 1167L ?

Ket
Why is my tax code changed from 1185L to 1167L ?

Postby Ket » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:28 pm

Hi, although nothing has changed with my work, my previous payment was with tax code 1185L /0 and this month it changed to 1167L /1. I googled 1167L but couldn't find anything in relation to tax code. I'm being paid monthly. It is late of course to change my tax code now, but it would be nice to know why. Pls advice.

darthblingbling

Re: Why is my tax code changed from 1185L to 1167L ?

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:02 am

How long is a piece of string?

Could be a number of factors that we would have no idea about. HMRC should have sent you a letter explaining how the tax code has been determined. If not you may be able to log into your personal tax account to check.

P11D benefits and underpaid tax from a previous year are the two main ones.

robbob

Postby robbob » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:29 am

3 ways to find out

1 look at the coding notice you have had this will detail the reasons

2 If you arent aware of having had a coding notice log into or set up your personal tax account as darthblingbling has advised and the reason will be on the coding notice there.

3 Ring hmrc and ask for a breakdown of your code and reasons behind any adjustments if not obvious.

Ket

Postby Ket » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:19 pm

I checked on their website and apparently it has to do with my savings. I was surprised that this happened on my last payment before the end of tax year. I paid tax while it should have been obvious that I would not exceed my allowance, as there won't be any other payment till then and this is my only job. Hopefully I can claim it back, even if it is because of savings.

Thanks everyone for your replies and help. I really appreciate it.

Return to “Income Tax”