This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Keeping in 40% tax bracket...just!

MooGlos
Keeping in 40% tax bracket...just!

Postby MooGlos » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi. First time poster, so I'm hoping I've got this in the right place.

I'm keen to maximise my pension contributions and benefit from 40% tax relief whilst it's still available.

In round figures, I earn £60k and have a company car which has a BIK of £9k in the 2019/2020 tax year.

Threshold for 40% tax is £50k for the 2019/20 tax year, so can I pay just less than £19k into my pension, thus ensuring that I stay just inside the 40% bracket and benefit from the more generous tax relief, whilst not wiping out too much of the child benefit payments, which get clawed back on incomes over £50k.

Is there anything I'm missing??!

Jholm

Re: Keeping in 40% tax bracket...just!

Postby Jholm » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:53 am

Assuming the provider claims relief, your payments to the pension would be net. It is the gross amount that increases your basic rate band so if you contribute £15,200, the gross amount would be £19,000. Based on these figures, you would be taxed on £50,000 all within basic rate and not liable to pay child benefit back.

Bear in mind your £40,000 annual allowances (gross) for each year. This includes employer contributions.

Return to “Income Tax”