This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Which exchange rate to apply?

Cap_Scarlet
Which exchange rate to apply?

Postby Cap_Scarlet » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:42 pm

For overseas income that is received monthly which exchange rate should I apply for UK income tax purposes. I assume the rate on the day the income was received?

darthblingbling

Re: Which exchange rate to apply?

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:46 am

HMRC publsh their own monthly averages I believe. But you can use a market rate if it's reasonable.

Cap_Scarlet

Postby Cap_Scarlet » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:08 am

HMRC publsh their own monthly averages I believe. But you can use a market rate if it's reasonable.
Yes, thanks, i know that.

My question was whether to apply the average for the month or the actual rate on the day the cash was received?

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:09 pm

As I said, it's up to you, as long as it's reasonable

maths

Postby maths » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:45 pm

Darthblingbling is correct.

If you need pedanticism then according to HMRC, foreign income should be converted into £ at the exchange rate ruling on the day the income arises assuming the arising basis applies. The daily rate found on a respectable commercial website should be used.

Cap_Scarlet

Postby Cap_Scarlet » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:58 am

Got it - thank you both.

So there is a bit of flexibility.

Return to “Income Tax”