This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Car Finance acceptable Landlord / Sole Trader expenses

Geddy
Car Finance acceptable Landlord / Sole Trader expenses

Postby Geddy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi All,

I'm a private landlord, and also someone who's looking to run a mobile guitar tuition business, and potentially longer term looking to monetise from internet media content. I've read some conflicting views on the subject of car finance expenses/write offs and wonder if anyone here can help shed some light on the situation for me. I have three questions really :-

1) :- As a sole trader, if I were to purchase a car on finance lease purchase, to be used largely for the business. But also potentially for personal. What parts of owning and paying for that car are tax deductible? Are there options available to us? such as, the interest payments on the finance agreement? mileage? Also, what different options are there if the car finance lease purchase is used WHOLLY for the business?

2):- If I were to become both landlord & sole trader, If I keep everything in my name, rather than a company, are the profits and expenses all pooled together? or are they treated separately? I.e if I purchased a car on lease purchase for my guitar business, can I still use that for landlord stuff without it being classed as 'personal use' ?

3) :- Lastly, in the example of me buying a supercar to use wholly and exclusively for internet media content, is that a good example of where I could write off the interest payments on any finance agreements for that sort of thing?

thanks, really appreciate any help on this one.

Geddy

Jholm

Re: Car Finance acceptable Landlord / Sole Trader expenses

Postby Jholm » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Hi Geddy,

The business element will be deductible. General approach is to take a % of business vs private. There are different approaches for different arrangements (HP, PCP, operating/finance lease) etc. Lots of additional information would be required to make a better assessment.

If you become a private landlord on the side, this would not pool together with the sole-trade business. The two entities would be kept separate.

Given the multiple factors at play, I would kindly suggest that you appoint an accountant to make sure you get it right. The tax savings may outweigh the additional cost.

Return to “Income Tax”