This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cash Basis Queries

Shippy92
Cash Basis Queries

Postby Shippy92 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Good Evening,

Newbie here :)

I just have a couple of quick queries regarding Cash Basis accounting for my small photographer business (sole trader):-

1. Loans/Credit Card - I purchased some new equipment in 2018/19 using credit. Do I need to record this as one expense OR record an expense for each individual monthly repayment? Seems to be a bit of a grey area.

2. Sale of old equipment - I also sold some older Camera equipment that was brought for the business in the past. Do I need to show this as income or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to using these forums over the coming weeks/months :D

Cheers,

David

robbob

Re: Cash Basis Queries

Postby robbob » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:08 am

1. Loans/Credit Card - I purchased some new equipment in 2018/19 using credit. Do I need to record this as one expense OR record an expense for each individual monthly repayment? Seems to be a bit of a grey area.
The equipment has been paid for (you now owe credit card company/loan company not equipment supplier) so make the claim at the time the equipment was financed or date cash element was paid
2. Sale of old equipment - I also sold some older Camera equipment that was brought for the business in the past. Do I need to show this as income or not?
Yes it is counted as income- it would be silly (silly good :) not the case tho :()if you could buy a camera for 5k monday claim 5k expense and then sell it tuesday for 4.9k and have no tax to pay on that income - add this income to your sales.

Note if your finance costs exceed £500 per year you may be better off leaving the cash basis due to the £500 finance costs claim limit.

Shippy92

Re: Cash Basis Queries

Postby Shippy92 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:09 am

The equipment has been paid for (you now owe credit card company/loan company not equipment supplier) so make the claim at the time the equipment was financed or date cash element was paid
Yes it is counted as income- it would be silly (silly good :) not the case tho :()if you could buy a camera for 5k monday claim 5k expense and then sell it tuesday for 4.9k and have no tax to pay on that income - add this income to your sales.

Note if your finance costs exceed £500 per year you may be better off leaving the cash basis due to the £500 finance costs claim limit.
Thank you for your helpful response! Really appreciate the help :D

Return to “Income Tax”