This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

In lieu of tax

Joined:Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:54 am
In lieu of tax

Postby Dino » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:43 am

I’ll have to pay some money for my tax bill 18/19, and I’m wondering if there is a legal way to use that money in another way, instead of giving to the taxman.

My understanding is I could have paid it into my pension, but now it’s too late. Is it?

Is there another legal way to reduce the tax bill?
Living in the UK for few years: continuously learning life in the UK.
Sometime I feel like an orphan looking for help to understand this new life

Joined:Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: In lieu of tax

Postby bd6759 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:31 pm

You cannot pay a tax bill to anyone other than HMRC,

You ay be able to legitimately reduce your tax bill. Have a conversation with a tax advisor. They can help you based on your circumstances.

Joined:Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: In lieu of tax

Postby D&C » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Have a look at the gift aid part of your return and accompanying notes, in particular the section for payments made after 05:04:2019 but before you file your 2018:19 return.

Other than that nothing obvious stands out as being possible.

Return to “Income Tax”