This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Wrong Tax code. Quickest way to get overpaid tax back?

louise22355
Wrong Tax code. Quickest way to get overpaid tax back?

Postby louise22355 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:30 pm

Hi,

For some reason Hmrc has put me on a BR tax code this month which means they didn't give me a tax free allowance and I paid 200£ more in taxes through PAYE than usually. I only have one job, my job has not changed since the last tax year so I don't understand why they would change my tax code now to BR. I have a minimum wage job. I can't afford to have 200£ more deducted. I understand that once hmrc has corrected my tax code I will get the money back through my next paycheck. However that won't be until the 30th of May and I have to pay rent and bills now so I need the money back sooner. Is there any way hmrc can refund me the overpaid tax directly?

darthblingbling

Re: Wrong Tax code. Quickest way to get overpaid tax back?

Postby darthblingbling » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:16 pm

It'll be through your employer only at this stage.

If you're having genuine cashflow issues speak to your employer. First to confirm correct tax code for next pay period and further to see if they may provide a small interest free loan to cover the shortfall. This could then be repaid from your net pay next month once you have your refund

louise22355

Re: Wrong Tax code. Quickest way to get overpaid tax back?

Postby louise22355 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:28 pm

Thank you. I will try to speak with my employer.

The case is very strange though because my employer send me a copy of the notification they received from hmrc that I should be on a BR tax code but when I called hmrc today they said that they don't have anything in their records about sending out a notice about a BR tax code. So I asked about the date that was on the notice specifically and again they assured me that they have not send out anything to my employer on that date.

Return to “Income Tax”