This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Undeclared foreign dividend

HarryHowls
Undeclared foreign dividend

Postby HarryHowls » Thu May 02, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi,

I am a very small shareholder in an foreign company that does not operate in the UK. I recently discovered that they for the first time in ages paid a dividend to shareholders. They did not tell me, just deposited it into an old account of mine which i never check and I only saw this by chance. It was about £2,100 equivalent deposited 2 years ago.

I already submitted my UK tax return, and the extra £2,100 would not cross any tax rate thresholds and with the £5,000 dividend allowance, I was wondering if I should bother informing HMRC? I don't really want to red flag myself in their eyes! Advice appreciated

Thanks,

bd6759

Re: Undeclared foreign dividend

Postby bd6759 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:33 pm

If it was deposited 2 years ago. you can amend your return.

Return to “Income Tax”