This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Failed to declare income - what do I do?

mags52

Postby mags52 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:07 am

I think I may have inadvertantly failed to declare income. I know that sounds ridiculous but I was wrongly advised 4 years ago. My sons and various friends have lived in my second owned flat and paid the mortgage and costs for the 4 years. I understood that all costs were chargeable against the income so assumed that as I was making no profit I was not making an income. From reading this and other forums I realise that only the interest on the mortgage was tax deductable. I clearly owe money to IR - will I be penalised for declaring after 4 years?

amccann@dtegroup.com

Postby amccann@dtegroup.com » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:23 am

In answer to your question yes you be penalised as you have understated your income.The best route is to bring the error to the Inpectors attention without delay as such action will mitigate penalties.You should take the opportunity to check you have claimed all the deductions you are entitled to in an attempt to reduce the arrears of tax.
If assistance is required please call me on 0161 767 1291 or 07715 755238.
Alan McCann CTA ATT
Director of Taxation
DTE Business Advisory Services Limited

Return to “Income Tax”