This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Divide tax debt between spauses

Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Divide tax debt between spauses

Postby kadlubek » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 pm


My divorce process will start soon, me and my spause are in material community property system. During our marriage I have accumulated tax debt in HMRC (long story don't ask). I am willing to pay the debt but I know that due the reason that we are in material community property system my spouse have to pay half of it. Unfortunately the divorce will take long time. Is there any way of notifying the HMRC about my merrige status and that we are in material community property system with my spause, so that they will require me to pay half of the debt and my spause to pay other half, so I don't have to wait for the end of the long divorce process.


Posts: 4529
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Divide tax debt between spauses

Postby pawncob » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 pm

The debt is yours alone. If your wife wishes to pay half, then you must make arrangements for this in the settlement.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Posts: 3252
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Divide tax debt between spauses

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:49 pm

This is a legal question rather than a tax one.

From a tax perspective the debt is enforceable only on you, and HMRC can only chase you for payment.

From a legal perspective it can be argued that this is a debt of the marriage in the same way as property is an asset of the marriage. Its for your solicitor to determine if this debt needs settled before assets are divided.

Return to “Income Tax”